2 killed, including soldier, in attack by unknown gunmen in Syria’s Raqqa
- Middle East
- Anadolu Agency
- Published Date: 04:15 | 22 February 2026
- Modified Date: 04:20 | 22 February 2026
Two people, including a soldier, were killed in an attack carried out by unidentified assailants in the countryside of Syria's northeastern Raqqa province, the Defense Ministry said Sunday.
An army member was targeted by unknown gunmen in the village of al-Wasita in the northern Raqqa countryside, resulting in his death along with a civilian, the ministry's Media and Communications Directorate told the SANA news agency.
No further details were provided.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.
ISIS (Daesh) sleeper cells are active in the region, which was previously controlled by the terrorist group in 2014 before it was ousted three years later by a US-led international coalition.
The area later fell under the control of the terror group YPG/SDF before the Syrian Army recently regained control of the region.
- Iranian president says committed to peace, country ready for 'any possible scenario'
- Israeli prime minister holds security consultations on Iran, possible regional escalation
- Iranian president orders ‘comprehensive investigation’ into anti-government protests
- Syria secures $50M World Bank funding to revamp transport infrastructure
- Next round of US-Iran negotiations set for Geneva this Thursday, Oman says