New Zealand Football withdraws support for Infantino's FIFA reelection bid
New Zealand Football has withdrawn its support for Gianni Infantino’s reelection as FIFA president, citing a “breakdown in trust” over the controversial FIFA Forward Enterprise proposal.
- World
- Anadolu Agency
- Published Date: 02:42 PM 14 August 2026
New Zealand Football (NZF) announced Friday that it had withdrawn its support for Gianni Infantino's reelection as FIFA president, breaking ranks with the Oceania Football Confederation (OFC).
"New Zealand Football (NZF) today announced that it has formally withdrawn its support for the candidature of Gianni Infantino as FIFA President at the 2027 FIFA Congress," the federation said in a statement.
NZF cited a "breakdown in trust" amid controversy over the FIFA Forward Enterprise proposal, under which FIFA sought to sell private investors a stake of up to 20% in the commercial operations of its competitions, including the World Cup.
Despite the proposal's withdrawal, NZF called for an independent review of how it had been developed.
"NZF is also seeking an independent review of the steps undertaken to develop the FIFA Forward Enterprise scheme," it said.
"After careful consideration, NZF has formed the view that decisions and actions within FIFA have contributed to a breakdown in trust and increased division within international football, and that an independent review is required to restore confidence and trust."
NZF is the OFC's largest member and the region's only country to qualify for the 2026 FIFA World Cup.
- Magnitude 7.4 earthquake strikes off coast of Indonesia
- Putin says Russia, North Korea coordinating on regional security
- Iran has not decided on resuming US talks: FM Araqchi
- Trump says USS Abraham Lincoln deployment 'not nearly long enough'
- Former University of Cambridge professor Jason Arday found dead