Contact Us

UAE says drone that hit near its nuclear plant was launched from Iraq

Citing definitive tracking data, the UAE has directly blamed Iraqi-based groups for a series of six drone attacks over the last 48 hours. The statement highlighted Sunday’s strike on the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant, emphasizing that the UAE retains the "full right to take all necessary measures" to protect its national security against external cross-border aggression.

Reuters WORLD
Published May 20,2026
Subscribe

The United Arab Emirates said on Tuesday that six drones had been launched against it from Iraq in the ⁠past 48 hours, including ⁠one that caused a fireat a nuclear power plant in the Gulf state on Sunday.

The UAE's defence ministry said in ⁠a statement that it had intercepted all but one of the drones. It said three in total had been targeting the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant, which is the Arab world's first commercial nuclear power station.

The drone that penetrated the UAE's defences hit an electric generator outside the inner perimeter of the plant, the ministry said.

After ⁠that ⁠drone strike, the UAE's Federal Authority for Nuclear Regulation said the plant remained safe and that no radioactive material had been released due to the attack.

Emirati officials have said the UAE has the full right to respond to such "terrorist attacks".

Iraq is home to powerful Iranian-backed militia ⁠groups which have claimed attacks against "enemy bases in Iraq and the region" during the war.

While hostilities during the Iran conflict have largely been scaled down since a ceasefire came into effect in April, drones have been launched from Iraq towards Gulf countries, including ⁠Saudi ‌Arabia ‌and Kuwait.

Saudi Arabia said on Sunday ⁠it had intercepted three ‌drones coming from Iraqi airspace and that it would take any necessary measures in ⁠response to efforts to violate its ⁠sovereignty and security.

Iraq said its air defences had ⁠not detected any drones being launched from its airspace.