Fighting continues in eastern Congo as army warns civilians
- World
- Anadolu Agency
- Published Date: 03:58 | 23 October 2022
The military in the Democratic Republic of Congo said M23 rebels attacked its positions in the east as fighting continued for the fourth consecutive day on Sunday in the North Kivu province.
"The enemy has tried again to attack our positions in the town of Ntamugenga, Rutshuru territory but the army is countering it," Lt. Col. Guillaume Njike Kaiko, army spokesman in the region, told reporters.
Kaiko urged residents to avoid moving from place to place and claimed the army had captured some rebels.
The clashes resumed last Thursday in the Rutshuru territory, after a lull of a few weeks, sending thousands of people to seek refuge in neighboring Uganda.
Local authorities said at least four civilians had been killed and a dozen wounded.
The Democratic Republic of Congo accuses neighbouring Rwanda of backing the M23 rebels, claims Rwanda denies.
- Thousands in new Moldova anti-government protest
- Salman Rushdie lost sight in eye, use of hand, his agent says
- Ukraine has lost 90% of it wind power capacity, ministry says
- Ukraine's Zelenskiy: only Russia could use nuclear arms in Europe
- Trump says he 'will probably have to' run for president in 2024