US Navy destroyer loses power for 4 days in South China Sea
The USS Benfold lost power for four days in the South China Sea due to an engineering failure but crew safety was maintained, with support from the George Washington Carrier Strike Group.
- World
- Anadolu Agency
- Published Date: 06:51 AM 18 August 2026
The USS Benfold, an Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer, was left without power for four days in the South China Sea last month following an engineering failure.
"On July 24, 2026, while conducting routine operations in the Indo-Pacific, Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Benfold (DDG 65) reported an engineering casualty involving its generators, causing a loss of power," Cmdr. Matthew Comer, spokesperson for the US 7th Fleet, told USNI News in a statement.
"There were no injuries to the crew, who demonstrated resilience, grit, professionalism and unwavering steadiness in their response," Comer said.
The power outage left sailors without galley services, toilets and air conditioning and affected potable water aboard the ship, according to the statement.
The George Washington Carrier Strike Group, with which the Benfold had been sailing, supported the destroyer during the incident. USS Robert Smalls, a cruiser attached to the strike group, helped provide meals for the crew, Comer said.
An investigation is ongoing into the cause of the incident.
- Drought in the Netherlands causes water levels to drop in the Rhine River
- Zelenskyy says 10 people killed in Russia's strike on Kharkiv region
- Russia's election commission removes Yabloko party from State Duma federal ballot
- Polish minister accuses Meta of censorship in deepfake scam dispute
- Yemen’s Houthis claim drone attack on Aramco refinery in Saudi Arabia