Kuwait says air defenses responding to drone threats
Kuwait said its air defenses were responding Monday to “hostile” drone threats, with explosions heard across the country caused by interception efforts. Authorities urged the public to remain calm, and no immediate casualties or damage were reported.
- World
- Anadolu Agency
- Published Date: 11:57 AM 20 July 2026
Kuwait's General Staff of the Armed Forces said Monday that the country's air defenses were responding to "hostile" drone threats.
The army said any explosions heard by the public were the result of air defense systems intercepting targets.
This comes just a few hours after the Interior Ministry announced the activation of warning sirens and urged citizens and residents to remain calm and head to the nearest safe place.
There were no immediate reports of casualties or damage.
Regional tensions have escalated since the US and Israel launched a joint offensive against Iran in February. Tehran retaliated with drone and missile strikes targeting Gulf nations hosting US assets.
The US and Iran signed a Pakistani-mediated memorandum of understanding last month to end their conflict and reach a lasting peace agreement, but tensions escalated again last week over the Strait of Hormuz, with the two sides exchanging attacks.
- Moscow says it would welcome possible meeting between top diplomats Lavrov, US' Rubio
- New UK premier, US president discuss defense, security
- Mamdani says ICC warrant against Netanyahu should be 'taken seriously'
- Turkish Cypriots are equal owners of island, not minority: Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus president
- UNICEF says June saw highest monthly child casualties in Ukraine since 2022