Zelensky repeats Ukraine not involved in Nord Stream attack
President Volodymyr Zelensky reiterated Sunday that Ukraine played no part in the 2022 explosions that crippled the Nord Stream gas pipelines linking Russia to Europe.
- World
- AFP
- Published Date: 07:15 PM 23 August 2026
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky repeated on Sunday that Kyiv did not take part in the 2022 attack on the Nord Stream pipeline, which carried Russian gas to Europe.
German prosecutors said last month that the bomb blasts were ordered by the Ukrainian state -- an allegation that could complicate relations between Kyiv and a key military backer.
Zelensky has always denied his country's involvement.
"Ukraine has never officially taken part in any operation related to the blowing up of Nord Stream," he told reporters on Sunday when asked about the investigation.
Zelensky added that Germany was "well aware that Ukraine did not stand behind the execution or the very conception of this operation".
He said that Kyiv was helping Berlin with its investigation and hoped it would not cause a rift in relations.
"It is very important for us not to lose our partnership, not to lose the trust of European countries that have been helping Ukraine since the very beginning of this war," Zelensky said.
On Wednesday, a Ukrainian man was arrested in Croatia on suspicion of taking part in the bombings.
He was reportedly working on a film about the attack.
German prosecutors allege the individual collaborated with another Ukrainian man arrested in Italy last year before being extradited to Germany.