Azerbaijan maintains dominance in battlefield
Armenia loses 50 more soldiers, says Azerbaijani Defense Ministry
Azerbaijan's military continues to maintain its dominance over Armenian forces, the country's Defense Ministry said on Sunday.
"On October 25, in the course of successful combat operations, 2 artillery pieces, 2 MLRS BM-21 "Grad", 1 command-staff vehicle, 1 command post, 2 trucks, 1 tank, and several enemy firing points were destroyed," the ministry said in a statement.
In a separate statement, it said Azerbaijani troops repulsed a fresh Armenian attack in the Gubadili direction.
"Due to the resolute actions of the units of the Azerbaijan Army, the enemy lost up to 50 servicemen and was forced to retreat. As a result, four auto vehicles full of ammunition and one armored vehicle of the enemy were seized," the ministry added.
Upper Karabakh conflict
Relations between the two former Soviet republics have been tense since 1991, when the Armenian military occupied Upper Karabakh.
Four UN Security Council resolutions and two from the UN General Assembly, as well as international organizations, demand the "immediate complete and unconditional withdrawal of the occupying forces" from occupied Azerbaijani territory.
In total, about 20% of Azerbaijan's territory -- including Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent regions -- has been under illegal Armenian occupation for nearly three decades.
Since recent clashes erupted on Sept. 27, Armenia has repeatedly attacked Azerbaijani civilians and forces, even violating two humanitarian cease-fires reached earlier this month.
World powers, including Russia, France, and the US, have called for a new and lasting cease-fire. Turkey, meanwhile, has supported Baku's right to self-defense and demanded the withdrawal of Armenia's occupying forces.