Houthis announce deaths of 12 members amid military escalation in Yemen
- Middle East
- Anadolu Agency
- Published Date: 12:53 AM 22 August 2026
- Updated Date: 12:56 AM 22 August 2026
The Yemeni Houthi group announced Friday that 12 of its members, including four officers, had been killed amid continued military escalation with Yemeni government forces.
Houthi-run TV Al-Masirah reported that funerals were held for the 12 service members in the capital Sanaa and the provinces of Saada, Hajjah, Al-Mahwit, Dhamar, and Amran.
Four of those buried were officers, including one holding the rank of brigadier general, the broadcaster said.
Al-Masirah did not provide details about when, where, or under what circumstances they were killed.
On Thursday, the Yemeni army said it had carried out 81 operations against the Houthis within 24 hours, during which field commanders and fighters from the group were "neutralized," without providing a casualty figure.
Until recently, Yemen had been under a relative lull since 2022 after nearly 12 years of war between government forces, backed by a Saudi-led coalition, and the Iranian-backed Houthis, who seized control of Sanaa and large parts of the country in 2014.
- Iran says Trump’s latest threatened economic sanctions are ‘bound to fail’
- Trump says Iran still not ready for ‘right deal’ amid tightening economic pressure
- Israeli security officials warn Netanyahu risks ‘unnecessary’ escalation with Türkiye: Israeli media
- UN warns of worsening violence, push for annexation in West Bank