WORLD

At least 58 presumed dead in London Grenfell fire

AT LEAST 58 PRESUMED DEAD IN LONDON GRENFELL FIRE

At least 58 people, who are missing following the recent fire disaster in residential Grenfell Tower block in west London, are presumed dead, British police said Saturday.

The latest figure included the previously released number of 30 deaths in the catastrophe in North Kensington early Wednesday.

Commander of the Metropolitan Police Stuart Cundy said in a statement that a recovery operation, which was briefly suspended for security reasons, had been resumed and family liaison officers were dealing with 52 families.

The statement officially confirmed that a 23-year-old Syrian refugee was the first victim of the huge fire. Mohammad Alhajali was initially identified on Thursday by a Syrian solidarity group he worked for.

Cundy said the images and video of the scenes inside the Grenfell Tower would be released on Sunday, adding "We will not do that until we have contacted all the families we are supporting to let them know that's our intention.

Having ordered an emergency aid package for the fire survivors and a full public inquiry into the incident, Prime Minister Theresa May held a meeting Saturday with some of the survivors and family members of victims at a government office.

A protest calling more effective action to help the survivors was staged in front of the Downing Street.

London's Metropolitan Police confirmed Friday they had launched a criminal investigation into the incident.

The total death toll in Grenfell fire is feared to reach up to three-figure numbers.

Contact Us