Eren Bülbül, a 15-year-old child becomes the latest juvenile victim to PKK terror
Eren Bülbül, a 15-year-old child, became the latest juvenile victim to PKK terror, along with two soldiers after the terrorists opened fire on Turkish security forces in northeastern Trabzon province on Friday.
A 15-year-old boy has been martyred by PKK terrorists in northern Turkey, a provincial governor's office said Saturday.
Eren Bülbül died from gunshot wounds sustained as he helped gendarmes track PKK members in Macka, a town 22 kilometers (14 miles) south of the Black Sea city of Trabzon, on Friday.
Gendarmerie Master Sgt. Ferhat Gedik, 41, was injured in the same incident and also died.
The Trabzon governor's office said Eren's funeral would be held in the Köprüyanı neighborhood on Saturday after prayers at Maçka Central Mosque.
Locals hung Turkish flags from windows and balconies to mark the teenager's death and a poster of Eren was hung outside the town hall with the words: "Eren Bülbül, Maçka will never forget you. Our martyrs rest in peace."
Deputy Prime Minister Fikri Isık visited the hospital where Eren had been treated to express his condolences to the boy's family.
Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu, head of the opposition Republican People's Party (CHP), condemned the attack.
"You are so low as to fire a bullet at a 15-year-old boy," he said in a tweet. "I wish God's mercy to Eren Bülbül and Ferhat Gedik, who were martyred in the attack."
The PKK -- listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S. and EU -- resumed its armed campaign against Turkey in July 2015 after a fragile peace deal.
Since then, it has been responsible for the deaths of some 1,200 Turkish security personnel and civilians, including women and children.
The group carried out its first terror attack on Aug. 15, 1984, when it attacked two gendarmerie outposts in the southeastern provinces Hakkari and Siirt.
In January 1987, PKK terrorists attacked a wedding party in the village of Ortabağ in the southeastern province of Şırnak, killing eight people, including two children and four women.
The following day, 10 people, including two babies, were killed in Gündükörte, a village in Mardin province, by the PKK.
The civilian death toll mounted in the following months and years.
In March 1987, six children were among eight people shot dead in Açıkyol, Mardin.
In the notorious Pınarcık massacre three months later, 30 people -- 16 of them children and six women -- were killed in a PKK attack on the village in Mardin.
In July, simultaneous attacks on two neighboring villages in Mardin-Haraberk and Peçenek -- left 25 dead, including seven children.
September 1987 saw a mass killing at Çiftekavak, a village in Şırnak province, where four children and five women, including two expectant mothers, were killed alongside two men from the same family.
Thirteen men, women and children were killed the following month in Çobandere, Şırnak.
In the 1990s, the PKK began targeting cities and in July 1998 seven people were killed in a bombing at Istanbul's Spice Bazaar.
More recently, in May last year, 16 people were killed when an explosive-laden vehicle was detonated in the Yenişehir district of Bingöl province.