Libya's Tripoli govt says 30 migrants killed in revenge attack
At least 30 asylum seekers were killed and 11 others injured in a "revenge attack," the Libyan government said on Thursday. The incident took place in Mizdah area, located some 180 kilometers (some 112 miles) south of capital Tripoli.
The family of a Libyan people trafficker killed 30 migrants in revenge for his death, Libya's internationally recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) said on Thursday.
The GNA interior ministry said in a statement that 26 Bangladeshi and four African migrants had been killed in the town of Mizda and that 11 injured survivors were taken to a hospital in Zintan.
Libya has long been a destination for migrants because of its oil-funded economy, but is also an important way-station for people attempting to reach Europe across the Mediterranean.
"We have just learned of this tragedy and are following up to get more details and provide assistance to survivors," said Safa Msehli, Libya spokeswoman for the International Organisation for Migration.