EU calls for ‘immediate ceasefire’ in Libya
The EU's foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini on Tuesday called for an immediate ceasefire in Libya.
"The only scenario where the whole country, where all Libyans, in an inclusive and unified manner moves forward, is a negotiated political solution," Mogherini said at the plenary session of the European Parliament on the situation in Libya, according to a statement.
Mogherini said that she has been in contact with the UN special envoy to Libya Ghassan Salame and working along "three main lines".
"First, to affirm the need to open humanitarian corridors as a matter of urgency, and fully respect humanitarian international law.
"Second, to establish an immediate ceasefire that I am sure the UN are ready to negotiate.
"Third, to go back to the political track, with the holding of the National Conference as soon as possible to give Libyans, the Libyan people […] the chance to outline the common way forward," the EU foreign policy chief added.
She said refugees and migrants trapped in detention centers "are also at risk".
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) and the UN Refugees Agency (UNHCR) worked collaboratively to evacuate the refugees outside Libya or move them to safer places inside Libya, the statement said.
Earlier this month, Khalifa Haftar, who commands forces loyal to Libya's eastern-based government, embarked on an ambitious campaign to capture Tripoli, where Libya's UN-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) is headquartered.
The GNA announced Monday that at least 76 people, including 24 civilians, had been killed since clashes erupted in the surroundings of capital Tripoli.
Since the 2011 ouster of late President Muammar Gaddafi, two seats of power have emerged Libya: one in eastern Libya, and another in Tripoli, which enjoys UN's recognition.