Philippines to stand down 1,000 police amid teen deaths
Around 1,000 police in the capital Manila are to be stood down amid criticism over the recent killings of teenagers by the security forces.
Senior officer Oscar Albayalde told ABS-CBN News on Friday that he would be looking to replace the officers with police from other areas.
Albayalde said the reorganization would be done in batches to ensure police operations are not interrupted.
The officers concerned will undergo a 45-day retraining program and will be reassigned within the Manila area.
Friday's order came after a police unit reportedly conducted a warrantless operation last week and amid public outrage over the successive killings of teenagers allegedly linked to drugs offences.
Last month, a 17-year-old boy was shot dead after allegedly resisting arrest during an anti-drug operation. Two days after, a 19-year-old was also killed in a shootout with policemen after robbing a cab driver.
His companion, a 14-year-old boy, was also found dead a few days after. Another 16-year-old from the city was found dead on Thursday with his hands tied behind his back.
Albayalde said the directive was issued to prove that the authorities "do not condone any wrongdoings" by poliçe.