Arson blamed for deadly dormitory fire in Kenya
Kenyan authorities have ruled that a weekend fire at a dormitory in the capital Nairobi that left nine girls dead was the result of arson, not an accident.
Speaking to reporters on Monday, Education Minister Fred Matiang'I said that after the blaze two more students succumbed to injuries sustained in the Moi Girls Secondary School fire, joining seven victims who perished early Saturday.
"The investigations so far are done and I can tell you unequivocally as briefed by the police that it was not an accident … but an arson attack," he said, adding that the police are already pursuing leads on particular suspects.
After the fire over 50 students were admitted to various hospitals in Nairobi where they were treated and discharged, while at least 10 others remain in critical condition.
Parents have visited the Chiromo Mortuary in Nairobi to help identify the bodies.
The fire started at 2 a.m. local time on Saturday (2300GMT Friday).