Death toll climbs to 15 in Istanbul building collapse

Death toll in bulding collapse in Istanbul's Kartal district has rose to 15, Turkey's Health Minister Fahrettin Koca told reporters on Friday. Speaking to reporters at the site, Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said that rescue work had been ongoing for dozens of hours in an effort to reach more survivors. "Those who lost their loved ones in this incident should rest assured that the responsible will be punished," Soylu added.

The death toll from of a building collapse in Istanbul rose to 15, said Turkey's Health Minister Fahrettin Koca on Friday.

Koca confirmed the rising number of deaths and told reporters 14 others were rescued, as he visited victims in the hospital.

Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said those who are found responsible will be held to account.

"Those who lost their loved ones in this incident should rest assured that the responsible will be punished," he said.

A seven-story apartment building in Kartal district collapsed with 30 residents inside. The cause is yet to be known.

Mert Aydın, 19, was rescued from the debris early Friday.

On Thursday, rescue teams saved 5-year-old Azra Havva Tekgöz from the rubble.

Koca said 13 people received treatment at the hospital, including seven in intensive care.

Contact Us