Located within the boundaries of Boğazkale District, southwest of Çorum, Hattusha had served as the capital of the Hittite Empire for 450 years, between 1650-1200 BC, extending over a 180-hectare rough and rocky terrain. During the Hittite Empire, this magnificent city used to be surrounded by 6 kilometers long city walls with high towers at certain intervals. The monumental gateways through these walls made entries and exits possible at old times. Such gates as Aslanlı Kapı (which has lion statues on it- so to say, the Lion's Gate), the Sphinx Gate and the Royal Gate are decorated with reliefs indicating a high talent and taste of delicate stonemasonry. Sphinx Gate Royal Gate The Hittite Empire ruled across a wide geography, dominating lots of people of different origins.